Welcome!

This blog began as we documented our adoption of our third child, Caleb. It is now an eclectic journal of our often amusing lifestyle with 4 young children.

We do try to "keep it simple" because our lives are obviously busy enough! We try to hold true to what we firmly believe is the most important: family, friends, and faith.

We hope you enjoy our everyday happenings!

10/23/07

Bad, bad news

I just spoke with my agency. Our attorney has received some official notice from Petén that they will not release birth certificates (which we already knew, but now our attorney has it in writing). So, he is flying up to Petén sometime this week to file a "recurso de amparo", which is some kind of legal appeal with the court system. What the mayor/official is doing in Petén is illegal, but it will have to go through the court system to be rectified.

This could take months. I suppose it's even possible that we will never be able to complete the adoption, but our attorney seems confident that this will be rectified in the courts. Obviously this is the worst possible news. Thankfully, our attorney in Guatemala is also a trial lawyer, who knows the ins and outs of the complicated Guatemalan legal process. But courts take time in Guatemala as they do in the U.S. Not to sound selfish, but we'd appreciate your thoughts and prayers right now.

The area of Guatemala where we need the birth certificate from is very rural, very poor, and has a very low literacy rate. There are many people in this region who believe that Americans adopt babies so that they can sell the organs when they return to the U.S. Here is an example of what I am talking about from the US Embassy website. http://guatemala.usembassy.gov/wardene20070718.html So I personally imagine that the mayor's decision not to release documents related to adoption is very popular amongst his constituents...although not at all popular with us!!!!

So, this is our update. If you have any questions, please ask! Maybe you'll think of something that we haven't thought of. We're obviously desperate to bring Caleb home.

Love,
Keith and Kris

10 comments:

Annie and Greg said...

I am definitely keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

veggiemom said...

OMG - I'm so sorry! I will definitely be thinking of you all and hoping for the best!
Kerri and Ruby

Melissa said...

You're in our thoughts. I hope the appeal works and you get good news soon!

Amanda said...

A little birdie mentioned you needed some prayers sent your way. I hope that this twist in your case is quickly resolved and you are able to get Caleb home where he belongs.

Anonymous said...

Wow I am so sorry this is happening to you. I will send you lots of vibes that your lawyer can find a quick solution to this nasty problem and you can bring your baby home very soon.

Cara said...

lots of thoughts and prayers to you. i sure hope this gets cleared up soon!

Lisa said...

I am so sorry!

Anonymous said...

lots of prayers and good thoughts that little Caleb will be home with you soon!

Anonymous said...

I'll keep you family in my prayers. I hope you get to bring your little boy home soon, very soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh Kris, Keith and family -

You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers. I wish there was something that I could do. You guys are great parents and deserve the best. I will continue to pray for your family.

Julie


Caleb, 9 1/2 months

Caleb, 9 1/2 months
Here is a great picture of Caleb we took during our visit trip.

Caleb, 4 1/2 months old

Caleb, 4 1/2 months old
This is our favorite picture from the group we received with our referral.