Welcome!

This blog began as we documented our adoption of our third child, Caleb. It is now an eclectic journal of our often amusing lifestyle with 4 young children.

We do try to "keep it simple" because our lives are obviously busy enough! We try to hold true to what we firmly believe is the most important: family, friends, and faith.

We hope you enjoy our everyday happenings!

8/27/08

They Remember More than We Think...

Last night when we were outside, Meghan noticed a "jet plane" flying overhead. We live below the route many planes take from Green Bay to Minneapolis, so we see many of these "jets". This one stuck out a bit, though, because it was flying lower than most, so you could see it more clearly. Anyway, she must have told Caleb to look at the plane, because all of a sudden he started crying very hard. He was honestly petrified. I finally was able to calm him down enough to talk to him, and he pointed to the plane and kept on crying. I then asked him if he was afraid that the plane was coming to take him away from Mommy and Daddy, and he said "yes."

Caleb flew home to us (with Keith and my MIL) when he was 18 months old. He's now 24 months old, and he still remembers. It really blows my mind sometimes, how much he does remember, at such a young age. Needless to say, we spent the rest of the evening reminding him how much we love him, and that we're going to be his mommy and daddy for the rest of our lives, and that we will never, never leave him. (We tell this to him all the time, and especially every night. We have found that it helps him sleep better, if he hears this right before he goes to sleep.)

Anyway, I just wanted to share that there are still times that his transition is difficult for him. I hope that he does remember Guatemala, and especially that his foster family and birth mother loved him very much. However, I do certainly hope that he eventually forgets the hurt, pain, and terror the changes must have caused.

Take care,
Kris

3 comments:

Ana said...

Caleb is just too much! What a perceptive and sensitive little boy. I love your terrible 2 stories! He's just so cute!!!

PS -- If you want the slideshow of Guatemala,email me and I will email them to you. I wish I was that good of a photographer. A friend got the slideshow and forwarded it to me. my email is alzaun@aol.com

veggiemom said...

Poor little guy! These little ones are just amazing with their understanding of what they've been through at such a young age.
Kerri, Medina, and Ruby

Hannah said...

Poor baby. He breaks my heart. Sophia doesn't SEEM to remember as much. I was showing her pictures of her foster mom yesterday and she didn't even seem to recognize her. It really stunned me. Her foster mom was so wonderful and Sophia LOVED her. She does get really upset if a woman (and only a woman) speaks to her in Spanish. She will cling to me like glue and cry so I know there is something there. I think when she starts talking more we might find out more.

Your Sayaxche friend
Hannah


Caleb, 9 1/2 months

Caleb, 9 1/2 months
Here is a great picture of Caleb we took during our visit trip.

Caleb, 4 1/2 months old

Caleb, 4 1/2 months old
This is our favorite picture from the group we received with our referral.